What is a cookie?
These cookies are text files containing small amounts of information which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website or open apps. The cookie then communicates with the originating website or app when you visit again, and may communicate with other websites that recognise the cookie.
Local Shared Objects or Flash Cookies
Local Shared Objects or Flash Cookies are pieces of data that websites and apps which use Adobe Flash store on your computer or device to collect information on how you navigate those websites or applications and to store preferences you have set.
Cookies make your browsing experience faster and easier. They can be used to remember your user preferences and registration details for future visits. Cookies also monitor your experience and interests. This information is often used to make content and advertising you see on our website and apps more relevant to you.
What cookies does Channel 5 use?
We have classified our cookies according to the categories proposed by the International Chamber of Commerce.
None of the cookies used on our websites or apps gather personal information about you.
Strictly Necessary Cookies
These cookies are essential for the operation of our websites and apps. They help you move around the website and use key features to:
- establish and continue a user session. They keep track of your movement from page to page. Without these cookies, our websites and apps would have no memories.
- establish and continue a user session with My5. These cookies keep track of a user’s movement from page to page. Without accepting these cookies the user would need to login every time they changed page.
Below are the names of the strictly necessary cookies used by Channel 5:
|My5: account cookies|
|Massive||warningDisplayed||My5: stores whether the user has seen and dismissed the Cookie Warning message|
|Massive||misl.account.AccountModel-offline-profile||My5: identifier for anonymous browsers (users)|
|Massive||misl.account.AccountModelSavedTokens||My5: cached authentication tokens if the user chooses to remained logged in (account level)|
|Massive||misl.account.profile.ProfileModel-anon||My5: identifier for anonymous browsers (users)|
|Massive||misl.account.profile.ProfileModelSavedTokens||My5: cached authentication tokens if the user chooses to remained logged in (profile level)|
|Massive||misl.config.LoadMislConfigCommand||My5.tv: identifies the last version at which the DeviceModel was updated|
|Massive||misl.device.DeviceModel||My5: detects the type of user device (computer, mobile or table)
|Channel 5||SESS72fda3f87cd6f88d7b4b5afed442ec64||about.channel5.com: website session cookie|
These cookies collect information about how our websites and apps are used. The purpose of these cookies is to help us improve our websites and apps, and to report website or app usage for reasons such as rights reporting to music collecting societies. For example they:
- collect information about the quality of video delivery. This information enables our partners to monitor and improve the quality of service and to troubleshoot video quality issues.
- check anomalies and as a back-up in respect of Google Analytics, tracking software by Google. This software is used to validate comScore data, our official tracking tool.
- detect the initial bandwidth capability for progressive download deliveries for video on demand content. Without understanding the bandwidth capability of the user’s device we are unable to determine which quality feed to deliver to the user, which would result in a potentially poor video playback experience or no video at all if bandwidth is reduced.
- track the effectiveness of the display advertising on our websites. This cookie does not target advertisements when you visit other websites.
Below are the names of the performance cookies used by Channel 5:
|Brightcove||BC_BANDWIDTH||Detects initial bandwidth capability of device for video playback.|
|Freewheel||NSC_d16efm_qppm_iuuq||Advertising cookie to track effectiveness.|
|Advertising cookie to track effectiveness.|
|comScore analytics help understand how users use our websites and apps.|
|Google Analytics help understand how users use our websites.|
|Video player analytics help understand how users use our video players.|
These cookies remember your settings so we can provide you with an improved, personal experience when you visit us again. Some examples of what the cookies are used for include:
- Remembering your preferences, such as switching subtitles and audio description on or off, or the volume control
- Remembering your place in a video, so if you leave an episode part way through, you can pick up where you left off when you return.
- Ensuring that you don’t see too many adverts, so if you see pre-roll advertising when you first launch a video and then fast forward through the video, you won’t see more advertising if you’ve already seen adverts in the last 5 minutes. Without this cookie ads would play at every opportunity.
Below are the names of the functionality cookies used by Channel 5:
|Auditude||UID||Channel 5 video ad server cookies|
|Channel 5 video ad server cookies|
|Doubleclick||Channel ID||Sponsorship advertising|
|Channel 5||channel5_compe_||Collect the user data when submitting a competition entry on www.channel5.com|
Learn more about how to manage your cookies.