Fried sweet chilli chicken
Delicious, addictive, and perfect served with an icy cold beer and chips.
Serves 2-4 to share
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook in: 10 minutes
This quick and easy fried chicken is delicious and addictive. You can use chicken breast, but I love juicy chicken thighs on the bone. Serve with an icy cold beer and chips.
2 chicken thighs, skinned and halved on the bone
2 chicken drumsticks, skinned and halved on the bone
4 tablespoons cornflour
2 egg whites
groundnut oil for deep-frying
sea salt and ground white pepper
For the sauce
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2.5cm/1 inch piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and sliced
1 medium red chilli, deseeded
6 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
juice of 1 lime
1 small handful of freshly chopped coriander
1. Season the chicken pieces with salt and white pepper. Combine the cornflour and egg whites to make a batter.
2. Heat a wok over a high heat and fill it to one-third of its depth with groundnut oil. Heat the oil to 180ºC/375ºF or until a cube of bread dropped in turns golden brown in 15 seconds and floats to the surface.
3. Dip the chicken slices in the batter, then place in a spider, lower into the oil and deep-fry for about 5 minutes until crispy and golden. Lift out using the spider or tongs and drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Pour the oil from the wok through a sieve into a heatproof container.
4. To make the sauce, wipe out the wok and heat over a high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the drained oil and, when it starts to smoke, add the garlic, ginger and chilli and stir-fry for a few seconds, then add the chilli sauce, soy sauce and lime juice. Mix well.
5. Return the chicken to the wok and turn to coat in the hot sauce, then stir in the coriander and serve immediately.