Banana tart tatin
From Episode 21
From Simon Rimmer's Accidental Vegetarian, p138
- 50ml water
- 100g caster sugar
- 25g unsalted butter
- 12 bananas, peeled and cut into 5cm pieces
- 200g ready-rolled puff pastry
For the mulled clotted cream:
- 200g clotted cream
- 200ml mulled wine
- 200g mixed tropical dried fruit (orange, cranberries etc)
- 1 vanilla pod
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C / 375˚F/ Gas Mark 5.
- For the banana tart tatin, pour the water into a heavy-bottomed saucepan, sprinkle over the sugar, and heat, without stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Simmer gently until the sugar turns golden. Stir in the butter, then pour into a 18cm round baking tin.
- Arrange the banana pieces in the tin in a very close formation.
- Place the pastry over the top of the bananas and trim, then bake for about 20 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden-brown.
- To make the mulled clotted cream, pour the mulled wine into a pan and bring to the boil; add the dried fruit; and take off the heat. Let the fruit steep for 2 hours.
- Once cooled and the fruit has absorbed all the flavours, mix with the clotted cream and scrape in a vanilla pod seeds. Mix well.
- Allow the tart to cool until just warm, then turn out and serve with the clotted cream.