Stir-fried pork with mange tout and yellow bean sauce
From Episode 39
From Sophie Grigson's Vegetables, p259
- 400g (14oz) pork steaks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2.5cm (1") piece fresh root ginger, cut into batons
- 175g (6oz) mangetouts, topped and tailed
- 25g (scant 1oz) flaked almonds or cashews
- 3 tablespoons yellow bean sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Trim the fat off the pork steaks, then cut them into thin slices. Prepare and measure all the remaining ingredients and gather them all together around the stove.
- Put a roomy wok on to heat through. Once it starts to smoke, add the oil. Swirl once, then add the garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for a few seconds then add the pork and carry on stir-frying for about 2 minutes until the pork is almost cooked through.
- Next add the mangetouts and almonds and carry on stir-frying for another 2 mins. Stir in the yellow bean sauce, sesame oil and soy sauce. Give it all another minute or so until everything is mixed together and steamingly hot and fragrant.
- Taste and adjust seasoning and add more soy or yellow bean sauce if needed. Serve immediately with rice.