Gennaro's Risotto alla Fragole
Gennaro Contaldo shares his unique recipe for Risotto alle Fragole.
Risotto alle Fragole (Strawberry Risotto)
This risotto is becoming fashionable in Italy now as Italians have discovered that fruit can be just as delicious in main courses. I made this dish for the family one summer; it was a case of the fridge was bare and all we had were some punnets of strawberries and risotto rice in the cupboard, so instead of the usual plain risotto, I livened it up with the strawberries. The girls loved it and were fascinated by the fact that you could have a strawberry risotto! It’s an ideal dish when delicious English strawberries are in abundance. The creamy Bertolli spread is excellent not only in this dish, but in all risottos.
2 x small shallots, finely chopped
250g Arborio rice
500g strawberries, hulled - half the quantity quartered and the remaining roughly chopped
½ glass white wine
1 x litre vegetable stock, kept hot
40g Bertolli spread
50g parmesan cheese, freshly grated & extra to serve
Salt to taste
- Heat the spread in a saucepan. Add the shallots and sweat on a medium heat.
- Stir in the rice and coat each grain. Stir in the white wine and simmer until evaporated.
- Add a ladle of stock, stir and simmer for a minute, then stir in the roughly chopped strawberries. Gradually add the remaining stock, stirring all the time between additions.
- When the rice becomes al dente, remove from the heat and stir in the olive spread and grated parmesan. Add salt to taste if desired.
- Leave to rest for a minute. Top with the quartered strawberries and some more grated parmesan, if desired, and serve.
© Gennaro Contaldo