Semi-final 2 - Alan Ritson and Ivano De Serio, The Old Bakery
Chef Ivano and his father-in-law Alan run The Old Bakery, a fine dining restaurant offering dishes inspired by cuisines from around the world.
Chef: Ivano De Serio
Front of house: Alan Ritson
Restaurant: The Old Bakery, Lincoln
Audition dish (Episode 1): Homemade pappardelle with duck ragout and a poached egg
Ivano and his father-in-law Alan run The Old Bakery, a fine-dining restaurant offering dishes inspired by cuisines from around the world, where everything is cooked from scratch.
Ivano is originally from Puglia in Italy and has always been passionate about food, attending chef school from the age of 14. He met his wife Tracey while they were both working on cruise ships, and with her parents the couple set up The Old Bakery in 2004. The Old Bakery is very popular, has won many awards and currently has two AA rosettes.
As a partnership, Ivano and Alan are an interesting combination. Ivano has worked in catering all his life, is a skilled chef and is always trying to improve. Alan was an agronomist for 30 years, then ran a scuba-diving school in the Caymans, and is more interested in folk music than food. Ivano is not sure Alan has the best people skills and gets frustrated with his pace of work. He and Alan bicker, but they put this down to combining family and business.
- Morels Bavette pasta with smoked pecans, crumbled stilton and Mediterranean herbs served with an infused butter sauce
- Pan-roasted rack of lamb, sweetbreads popcorn with wilted wild garlic, lovage infused carrots, smoked baby potato and lamb jus
- Baked red mullet fillets, sautéed samphire, fennel and rhubarb salad with tonka beans mayonnaise and orange oil.
- Horseradish scented venison stew, roasted vegetables, polenta chips and butternut squash purée
- Amadei chocolate, pistachio mascarpone mousse with passion fruit semifreddo and honeycomb crisp