Semi-final 4 - Barrington Douglas and Eleanor Dennis, Discovery Bay
Chef and owner, Barrington, runs his modern, retro-style, Caribbean restaurant with front of house Eleanor, the daughter of his best friend.
Chef: Barrington Douglas
Front of house: Eleanor Dennis
Restaurant: Discovery Bay, Huddersfield
Audition dish: Jerk fillet of cod on a bed of savoy cabbage with pancetta
Chef and owner, Barrington, runs his modern, retro-style, Caribbean restaurant with front of house Eleanor (20), the daughter of his best friend.
Barrington used to work in the construction industry, but his dream was always to have his own restaurant, and after 20 years he’d saved enough to realise it.
Discovery Bay opened five years ago, and after a year, self-trained chef Barrington took over in the kitchen. Three years later, he took on Eleanor.
Barrington has applied to be on the show because he not only wants Marco's seal of approval for his food and service but also is keen to learn from him. He believes that, just like Marco, he stands up for his beliefs and is passionate about what he does.
Eleanor calls Barrington ‘Uncle’ and says he’s a hard-working boss. They have a strong working relationship, having the balance of a laid-back, fun lifestyle but also pulling out all the stops when they’re rushed off their feet.
Semi-Final 4 Menu
- Pan-fried red snapper with spicy callaloo and coconut soup
- Fillet steak served with spiced dauphinoise potatoes and a dark rum cream sauce
- Fillet of halibut on a bed of sautéed yam served with a Creole sauce, finished off with truffle oil
- BBQ stuffed duck breast with callaloo and plantain on a bed of crushed butternut squash, served with Discovery Bay’s homemade BBQ sauce
- Guava and lime zest cheesecake with a ginger nut base