Semi-final 1 - John and Julia Abbey, The Leatherne Bottel
Julia, the chef, and John, the front of house, run The Leatherne Bottel, a quintessentially English restaurant on the banks of the Thames.
Chef: Julia Abbey
Front of house: John Abbey
Restaurant: The Leatherne Bottel, Berkshire
Audition dish (Episode 1): Wild sea bass, crab and pear risotto with lobster butter
Julia, the chef, and John, the front of house, run The Leatherne Bottel, a quintessentially English restaurant on the banks of the Thames. Julia has worked at the restaurant for 15 years, and seven years ago she employed John as her relief chef. He moved to front of house, and four years ago they married.
Julia started her career at a Cordon Bleu cookery school and has spent many years as a head chef in various hotels and restaurants around the world. John taught himself to cook still helps out in the kitchen if needed.
Living and working together can sometimes bring pressures, but the couple's priority is to make the restaurant run smoothly. Their dream is to have a B&B, a small restaurant and a cookery school based at John's disused vineyard in Chablis.
It was John who applied for the show because he’s a huge fan of Marco, and both he and Julia would love to get his seal of approval.
- Bread selection
- Large flat mushrooms on black olive toast
- Fillet of bream, fricassée of baby veg, saffron potatoes, basil beurre blanc
- Roast rump of lamb, puy lentils, braised shallots, roast vegetables
- Ballotine of oxtail, lamb's tongue and salsify. Fried lamb's tongue, garlic mash, curly kale
- Honey and lemon thyme pannacotta, tuille, blueberry sauce