Finalists - Olivier and Sheila Guyard-Mulkerrin, Les Saveurs
The combination of Olivier's talent in the kitchen and Sheila's hard work front of house has earned Les Saveurs a coveted AA Rosette.
Chef: Olivier Guyard-Mulkerrin
Front of house: Sheila Guyard-Mulkerrin
Restaurant: Les Saveurs, Exmouth
Audition dish (Episode 2): Slow-poached fillet of Devonshire brill, served on a bed of chive mash, samphire and Jerusalem artichoke. finished with nettle sauce
Olivier grew up cooking in his dad’s restaurant in Brittany in France, and trained in butchery and pastry. He has worked in various restaurants both in France and here in the UK, having spent time at Michelin-starred Morels.
Sheila, on the other hand, trained in the military and had never worked in the catering industry before they opened their restaurant in 2007. She works as a community health worker during the day and does front of house in the evenings. They met nearly 18 years ago and admit that theirs is a fiery relationship.
Olivier idolises Marco, admiring his hard work and perfectionism. He too is a big fan of fishing, and when he’s not buying direct from the fishermen, he’s out at sea spearfishing. Business is tough, but with Olivier’s talent in the kitchen and the couple's hard work, Les Saveurs is surviving and has been awarded an AA Rosette.
Semi-Final 1 Menu
- Pan fried scallops in a shell accompanied with petits pois a la Francaise, finished with beurre blanc
- Oven-roasted lamb rump, accompanied with potato fondant, cauliflower puree, a trio of mushrooms and finished with a Madeira sauce
- Gilt head bream filet served on a chive mash with samphire, finished with a langoustine sauce
- Crepinette of oxtail and lamb’s tongue bourguignonne, served with pomme purée and lemon thyme port sauce
- Classic lemon tart
- Chicken liver parfait served with red onion marmalade and crusty bread
- Traditional French onion soup
- Whole oven-roasted red mullet and a scallop, served with chive mash and bouillabaisse sauce
- Supreme of guinea fowl with black truffle mash, sauce chasseur
- Pan-fried saddle of lamb served with kidney crepinette on a bed of lentils, finished with a Dubonnet and basil sauce
- Chocolate terrine served with Baileys sauce
- Crème brûlée and raspberries