Neighbours

Jade star Gemma to exit Ramsay Street

After two years as Ramsay Street's feisty, no-nonsense personal trainer Jade Mitchell, star Gemma Pranita has revealed she's setting her sights on LA.

Neighbours is set to lose one of its most glamorous residents, Gemma Pranita, when she farewells Ramsay Street in August.

The striking brunette, a graduate of the Western Australia Academy of Performing Arts, joined the cast of the hit Aussie soap in mid 2010 as feisty, no-nonsense personal trainer Jade Mitchell.

While she thought long and hard about leaving the show, 26-year-old Gemma feels the time is right to spread her wings. 'The decision was made with a heavy heart as I love this job, but I just felt that two years was long enough to play one character,' she explains. 'I became an actor to play lots of different characters and, while Jade has been an amazing role, I feel I want to challenge myself to do other things.'

Gemma hopes to scope out opportunities in Los Angeles later this year but insists she won't be closing the door on her career in Australia. 'I’ve always aspired to have a crack at LA, and I don’t want to be left wondering. However, I’m definitely not opposed to working in Australia; I love the industry here.'

The Neighbours favourite adds that she'll particularly miss working with co-stars Christopher Milligan - her on-off love interest Kyle Canning - and Eve Morey, the name behind her on-screen sister Sonya.

'I’ll miss the pranks Chris and I play on each other, and one I’m particularly proud of was putting fake dog poo in his script folder - payback for a prank he played on me,' jokes Gemma.

'I’ll also miss three o’clock on Friday afternoons, the end of a long week, when everyone goes a little bit crazy in the Green Room and watches silly YouTube clips huddled around a computer. It is always so much fun.'

Gemma's chuffed with the extra skills she acquired for her role. 'I didn’t have a relationship with exercise at all but, playing a personal trainer, I do now. Every Saturday morning I do body combat with Val (Novakovic) and I learnt to use a skipping rope like a boxer - no easy feat for a non-exerciser.'

She also dispelled the myth of ‘never work with animals’ by playing opposite Bossy, the show’s Australian red kelpie puppy.

'I’ve never owned a dog, let alone instructed one, so the day Bossy had to sit, lay and roll on my command was amazing, I felt like the new dog whisperer, and Cesar Millan better watch out!'

Gemma, who after wrapping on Neighbours will head back to Sydney to work on a project with her theatre company Cry Havoc, is remaining tight-lipped about how her character exits Ramsay Street but teases that 'hearts will be broken and lots tears will be shed.'

Gemma's final scenes as Jade will air on Channel 5 at the end of November.

Comments (17)

• GillianH81

GillianH81

@Paige, Gemma is a brilliant actress. Her acting is wooden.

• Paige

Paige

Glad to see her go! Her "acting" is completely wooden, and her character totally unlikeable.

• lin

lin

i will miss jade .loved her and kyle together ,really hate the thought of him being with kate ,gone of kate some mate

• GillianH81

GillianH81

@Julie333, it was obvious Troy was Jade's abusive ex, as soon as Dieter Brummer's return was announced in February. Now, if the prediction by me and some other neighbours fans about Rhys' big storyline, Rhys and his mum, Elaine, have a big surprise coming up and if I'm right, Kate will be getting a bombshell dropped on her soon.

• julie333

julie333

Well done GillianH81 for coming to the conclusion that Troy could be her ex-boyfriend. Maybe she'll be right by saying Mark Brennon isn't really dead. Why would the police want to keep his death a secret?

• Michelle (UK)

Michelle (UK)

I will be upset to see Jade go, she and Kyle were so good (and funny/amusing together !). It won't be the same with her, Kate and Kyle don't have the same banter between them, let alone romance. Shame.

• GillianH81

GillianH81

@Stac, Kate and Kyle won't get together. Kyle does haven't any feelings for Kate. They don't have any romantic chemistry between them, it's just friendship chemistry. Would rather the gorgeous mark came back for Kate, they were perfect together.

• Stac

Stac

I'll miss her character too, but i hope that this means that Kate and Kyle get together. The show has strung out this possibility for long enough. I want them to have the big wedding and kids, become the new Karl and Susan... FYI they are better together than appart. If its not broke, dont fix it and all that. Will never understand the need to divorce this couple AGAIN.. When's Libby coming back??

• ron

ron

My TV dinner shared with neighbours will never be the same. Jade will do great and the yanks will be better off for having her around. good luck Gemma

• AS

AS

Jade was one of my favourite characters to bad shes leaving

• This comment was removed by a moderator

• This comment was removed by a moderator

• Coco

Coco

So glad Jade will be leaving, hope she takes her even more annoying sister, Sonya with her!!

• Sophie

Sophie

I agree with HL I really do not want Kate and Kyle to get together. I will be realllly upset :(

• HL

HL

:( Jades one of my favourites. I love her and Kyle together. Really hope this doesn't mean he is going to get with Kate :(!!!

• N

N

So that probably means that Kate and Kyle might be together after all?

• Sophie

Sophie

I love Jade! She is one of my favouite characters and I love her. I cannot believe she is leaving - I will miss her character and I can't wait till the storyline will happen till though I will be dreading it :(

Blank_avatar