Chocolate mint parfait with chocolate cinnamon biscuits
Served with chocolate sauce and mint oil
Time: 30 minutes
For the chocolate mint parfait
- 6 egg yolks
- 200g sugar
- 250ml double cream, whipped
- 40g chopped fresh mint
- 6 egg whites
- 6 tbsp mint essence
Chocolate cinnamon biscuits
- 80g butter
- 240g dark brown sugar
- 150g cocoa powder
- 5g ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 300g plain flour
- 25g chocolate
- 10g butter
- 10ml double cream
- 5 fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- 10 tsp peanut oil
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C or gas mark 4.
2. First make the parfait. Place a metal bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, and whisk the egg yolks and three quarters of the sugar until you have a sabayon – a sweet sauce.
3. Place the egg whites in a very clean bowl and whip until they form soft peaks and you can turn the bowl upside down without sliding out. Add the rest of the sugar and whisk until the mixture has a waxy appearance.
4. Mix the whipped cream with the mint essence and chopped mint leaves.
5. Using a metal spoon gently fold the sabayon and cream into the egg whites until fully combined.
6. Prepare a tray by lining with cling film, pour in the mixture and leave to cool.
7. To make the biscuits, first mix the sugar and butter together and whisk until creamy.
8. Add rest of ingredients and mix till incorporated.
9. Roll out the mixture and cut into rounds using a biscuit cutter and lay the biscuits on a greased baking tray. Place in oven for approximately 10-12 minutes. Take out from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
10. Meanwhile make the chocolate sauce by melting the chocolate and butter in a bowl over barely simmering water. Slowly whisk in the double cream, then remove from the heat and allow to cool
11. To make the mint oil finely chop the fresh mint leaves and then place in a bowl and mix with the icing sugar and peanut oil.
12. To serve, take two biscuits and sandwich them together with a generous spoonful of the mint parfait. Repeat until all the biscuits have been used. Place biscuit sandwiches on a plate, drizzle with chocolate sauce and mint oil and serve.
Contains wheat (contains gluten), egg and milk.
Healthy eating tip
This dessert is one that's best eaten in small amounts or as an occasional treat!