Nappy sacks

Retailers across the UK are being urged to include warning labels on the packaging of their disposable nappy sacks to prevent the increase in deaths of young children. The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) has revealed that since 2001, 17 babies have died after suffocating on the plastic sacks. Disposable nappy sacks are often found loose in changing bags, buggies or by a baby’s cot, which can be fatal if they end up in the wrong hands.

Beth Amison shares her very difficult story with Do The Right Thing, to warn of these potential dangers and devastating effects. Five years ago, Beth found her son Maison in his cot surrounded by nappy bags. He was rushed to hospital, where sadly he died. Maison had suffocated on a nappy sack; he was just seven months old. Beth says: ‘I urge all parents, grandparents and carers to think twice about the possible dangers before they become a problem. Be aware of the risks. Are there nappy sacks in reach? Are nappy sacks in a zipped changing bag? Whatever happens, don’t have the attitude that “it won’t happen to me”, because when tragedy strikes, it leaves you heartbroken forever’.
Beth has been working closely with RoSPA, who have developed new guidelines for retailers, in partnership with the British Retail Consortium, to help reduce the risks associated with using nappy sacks. This includes the inclusion of warning labels on packaging to alert parents and carers to their potentially deadly dangers. Although, at present, there are warnings on nappy sacks packaging, they are very small and often unnoticeable.

Do The Right Thing wanted to help Beth and RoSPA raise awareness on these fatal dangers, so we contacted manufacturers asking if these warnings could be made more prominent and eye-catching on their packaging. Morrisons, Co-op, Waitrose, Aldi, Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Boots and Mothercare have all agreed to add clearer warnings on their nappy sacks in the next few months, which will hopefully help prevent tragic deaths like Maison’s happening again.

For further information on nappy sacks and their potential dangers, please visit:

Recalled white goods

There are nearly 5,000 house fires every year – that’s more than 13 every day – caused by faulty electrical white goods in the home. ‘White goods’ are everyday electrical items most people find in their homes, such as fridges, washing machines, freezers, tumble dryers and dishwashers. A lot of homeowners are unaware they have a faulty, dangerous white good appliance in their home, which, if left undetected, can potentially result in devastating consequences.

Noel Davies shares his story on Do The Right Thing, highlighting the risks of purchasing second hand, faulty home appliances. In July 2014, Noel’s whole house burnt down after the secondhand fridge-freezer he bought on Gumtree caught fire. Luckily, no one was in Noel’s house at the time, but the blaze ripped through the entire house causing thousands of pounds worth of damage.

Noel discovered the secondhand fridge-freezer he had been sold had been on the recall list and was dangerous. He was furious that he didn’t know he was buying something so lethal.

The government recently announced that they are creating a centralised recall database, where anyone can find out if any product is subject to a recall. However, this does not mean that all secondhand electrical goods are checked to see if they are on the list before they are sold. Charlie Pugsley, the Deputy Assistant Commissioner of the London Fire Brigade, thinks that the sale of secondhand electrical goods still needs tightening up.

Alongside the London Fire Brigade, Do The Right Thing are calling on second hand shops, as well as online marketplaces, to regulate and check the white goods that they sell. The London Fire Brigade itself have found countless white goods in London shops, some of which are commonly known to have caused fatal fires.

If you’re worried about any electrical goods in your home and want to know if it has been recalled, then please visit:

Also, if you have any white goods in your home, make sure to have them registered. You can register any appliance up to 12 years old, even if you bought it secondhand or it is already in your home. For more information, please visit

KIDS charity

KIDS is a national charity working with children and young people aged 0-25, irrespective of their disability, supporting some of society’s most vulnerable families. KIDS provide over 120 services across the country and one of these is KIDS Hackney Adventure Playground. The playground is a special space where disabled children and young people are given confidence and independence to enjoy leisure and recreational activities with the encouragement and support of professionally trained, caring play workers. It is a lifeline for over 100 families that would otherwise have no alternative option.

Do The Right Thing’s secret millionaire, Joe Fournier heard the KIDS Hackney Adventure Playground was at risk of closure this year, and decided to surprise the staff and families that use the playground with a donation of the entire £100,000 needed to keep it going.

KIDS need to continue to raise fund each year to cover these costs and keep this vital resource open. If you would like to get involved and support their campaign, visit their website:

Series 27 – Episode 3




Hawkesyard Estate


Nuffield Health Fitness & Wellbeing Gym


Rugeley Leisure Centre


Gleeson Recruitment Group




Ganker Robot


Razor Turbo Jetts


Glowstone Smart Mug




Sea of Thieves


A Way Out


Detective Pikachu





Fitbit Aria 2


Nokia Body Cardio


QardioBase 2




FlexiSpot Deskcise Pro V9


PowerUp 3.0






GoPro Fusion Hero6 Black


Garmin VIRB 360