Carbon monoxide alarms

/ 29 March 2018

A staggering 9 million homes in the UK are without a carbon monoxide alarm and it is estimated a total of 50 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning. Known as the ‘silent killer’, carbon monoxide poisoning often goes undetected, you cannot see it, smell it or hear it. The only way to know whether the deadly gas is slowly killing you is if your carbon monoxide detector alarm goes off, that is why they are so crucial. The alarms cost around £15 and if every house contained one, around 50 lives could be saved each year.

On Do The Right Thing, we speak to Chloe Kilby, who shares her devastating story on the fatal effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. Chloe’s uncle, Simon, was renting a room in his friend Elouise’s flat. One morning, his family found him unconscious in his flat when he failed to turn up to work. Sadly, it was too late for his flat mate Elouise, who had already died. Simon ended up in a coma for 9 years. Tragically, he passed away in 2016.

On the show, we are also joined by Amanda Handy and her two children, who were also victims of carbon monoxide poisoning, but luckily, survived. Amanda shares her near-death experience with the poisonous gas due to a faulty boiler. One evening, Amanda and her two children complained of dizziness, sleepiness and headaches at her relative’s house. After researching their symptoms online Amanda called NHS 111, who immediately diagnosed them all with carbon monoxide poisoning. In A&E, it was revealed Amanda had 10% of carbon monoxide in her bloodstream, her step-father had 30% and her step-sister a shocking had 70%.

Do The Right Thing are campaigning to change the law, making it compulsory for carbon monoxide alarms to be installed in all homes. In Scotland, it is already the law to have one for new installations, and we think the rest of the UK should follow suit. The National Fire Chiefs Council are supporting the the campaign and agree that the law needs to be changed to make working alarms a necessity in all homes, regardless of what appliances are already in the property.

If you would like to find out more about the dangers of carbon monoxide and the precautions you can take to stay safe, visit: https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help-and-advice/carbon-monoxide-poisoning/