FIRE SAFETY

/ 15 February 2019

There are now more mobile devices in this country than there are people. And that means that those devices need charging.

Daisy Goodliffe got in touch with Do The Right Thing. Daisy’s a student from Beckenham in Kent. She told Ruth and Eamonn she has three mobile devices – her laptop, her phone and her tablet and that she’s always leaving one of them on charge. She bought a charger online – it wasn’t one of the manufacturers, it was a cheaper version. Daisy plugged it in and left the tablet charging.  When she returned to her room about an hour later the plug was red hot, so she pulled it out of the socket. Daisy said smoke started pouring out of the charger – if I hadn’t got to it then I’m sure there would have been a terrible house fire. Daisy asked that Ruth and Eamonn please warn viewers these cheaper chargers can be dangerous

Eamonn revealed the charity Electrical Safety First say these cheap chargers can be deadly. They found that 98% of them could cause a fire or electric shock. Millions of them were bought in this country last year. The dangerous chargers are made in China and the Far East for as little as 3p because they’ve got really poor quality components.

Eamon also met up with London Fire Brigade’s Deputy Commissioner Charlie Pugsley who said: “The longer chargers are plugged in the more likely you are to get a fault. Particularly a concern for us is if the charger is left on unattended, if it’s covered with clothing or bedding or something like that, that is going to hold the heat in which means that a failure is going to be even more likely and if a fire does start there is lots of fuel there to spread to. So, it does make you realise that instead of paying up to £40 plus pounds for your charger you might spend £1 or £2 pounds for a fake from an online auction or from a high street store but really you are taking a big risk”.

Eamonn warned that genuine chargers contain over 60 components and they are fire retardant – that’s why they cost more.  The more expensive ones could save your home and possibly save your life.

For help and advice on how to use electricity safely, head to the Electricity Safety First website on: https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/